As regular DJ on MPC Radio, and an even more regular #mpcradio IRC visitor, i notice more and more people that skip the SAM tutorial and go straight to Virtual DJ. Mostly those people come back later and ask for some more explaination on Virtual DJ - which i will now call VDJ-. From there this tutorial.
1. I DO NOT recommend using VDJ if you're new to DJ programs. VDJ is designed for (semi-) professional DJ's and is not user friendly to the "newbs". For that i would recommend using SAM first, after that - if you are thinking of going for VDJ -, i suggest you use AtomixMP3 for a few weeks or months (dependant of you learning speed). You can find a demo of AtomixMP3 here.
If you are familiar with the interface of AtomixMP3, you can start trying out VDJ offline . Get VDJ's demo version here.
2. So you have mastered VDJ a bit now. You can start using it online! BUT... before you really start streaming with it, you need some more customising. First of all, VDJ really has some work in it, so there are -dare I say- practically unlimited options. USE THESE OPTIONS! They will help you a great deal when mixing.
3. Actually a part of the options, but yet so important that I made a seperate point of it. USE HOTKEYS! If you don't use seperate hardware components (which I presume you don't), it is of huge importance that you use hotkeys. You can't control everything with just your mouse!
4. VDJ is completely customisable, CUSTOMISE! The most important part of this rule is that you find yourself a skin that suits your mixing needs. Find skins here. I, for example, use Mix Station SU 04 Titanium.
5. Mixing is NOT like riding a bike. You need to keep mixing offline and trying to improve your skill. Don't be discouraged if something keeps failing, you will succeed in the end.
6. This might be a detail, but please, CHOOSE THE RIGHT MUSIC! I hear people trying to mix Nirvana with Metallica... Don't try, it's not gonna work! If you want to try it, go ahead, but NOT ON THE AIR, because it will be a DISASTER!
7. My next point is more something moral: if you like VDJ, BUY IT! The makers of this program are putting in huge amounts of time to make it as perfect as possible, let's appreciate that. If you do not feel like paying: download the demo and let it be.
8. USE YOUR HEADPHONE! This is of essencial importance. Without your headphone you can never mix perfectly. Though mixing without a headphone with VDJ is easier than with real vinyl, it remains hard. I can guarantee you that a headphone helps you a great deal.
==Thanks to Hissyfit for the hint==
9. BROADCASTING WITH VDJ is pretty easy to configure, though it does not have as many options as SAM, this just increases the simplicity. Here's a small tutorial in a tutorial.
a) You go to the "Record" tab, where this is located depends of your skin.
b) When you have found the "Record" tab, you click the "Broadcast" button.
c) You see 2 buttons: "CONFIG..." and "START RECORDING". Click on "CONFIG..."
d) A new window opens. These are the settings I use. (This means there are other configurations possible!)
Record From: Master / Auto-Start ON / Shoutcast (MP3) / The encoder should be filled in correctly standard* / Bitrate 64 Kbs / Broadcast to a radio server / server details, received from luck777jojo, have to be entered here)
*If it's not filled in, browse to your VDJ folder and select the file "lame_enc.dll".
e) Press OK in this window. You are now ready to start broadcasting. To do so: click "START RECORDING".
f) This is just an extra note rather than a step.
If you get this message:
** Broadcast Error**
Server answered: "
This means that someone else is already broadcasting: go on IRC: #mpcradio, and try to contact the current DJ if you want to go on next.
==Thanks to -=pwn-noobs=- for the hint==
This is a tutorial made DURING A MIX on MPC Radio, 20th of august 2005, completed at 23.50 at night. I hope it is usefull for at least some of you, and if there come more questions, i will add them, with their answer, here.
<<<<Technical DJing with VDJ: The PDF File is available now! I will try making it in HTML soon!>>>> --> Updated to v1.1, after a hint of Hissyfit, ty for that.
==> I will be adding more, but i dont really have much time with school starting again, so it will take some more time.
-DJ Van Stino
P.S.: To view this document you need Adobe reader: download it here.